SEO Writing. What exactly is it? Simply put: SEO writing is the art of inserting key words and phrases into an article. And by ‘key words and phrases’, I mean the words typed into the Google search engine. Google uses algorithms to determine your content and it’s relevance on whatever the subject may be. These key words and phrases have the ability to optimize your site and give it higher rankings within a search engine.
For instance if I’m looking for information on my cat’s health, my search phrase would be ‘cat health’. When I type in my phrase, Google will show me a list of sites on proper cat care and how to keep track of my pets overall health. Proper SEO writing, would have included the phrase ‘cat health’ throughout their article.
In some situations, the phrase may not flow. Let’s say a person is looking for a heart doctor in Cleveland. They may type in (cardiologist Cleveland). And inserting that phrase into an article repeatedly, can sound rather off-putting. In this case, realize that Google doesn’t always look at the punctuation in the article. So you could phrase (cardiologist Cleveland) in several ways, still combining the words as a phrase. For instance: “If you’re looking for a well skilled (cardiologist, Cleveland) is well known for…..”
At the same time,you can bog down the article with ‘too much’ SEO writing. It’s called over-optimizing. More then 10 times, is too much. And it may drop you in the rankings.
Tips for SEO writing:
- Consider your audience
- Create a flow. Don’t just pop the phrase in there.
- Reread your article several times. How does it sound?
- Add your keywords and phrases as you go along, or after. It’s like Lego building. Which block goes best and where?
- Practice your key phrases. Insert random keywords into Google and see what pops up. And when reading your article, try to imagine which words you would type in to find it.
- Include the key phrase in the title and html.
- Interview experts. Being able to direct quote experts on the topic is extremely helping at driving traffic to your site.
- Try to get at least 300-500 words in the article.
- Advertise your article. Put your link up on as many blog friendly sites as possible. LinkedIn, Reddit and StumbleUpon are well known for this. And they work!
In closing, SEO writing is a way to optimize your site in the search engines, driving more traffic in your direction.
If you liked this article, feel free to leave me a comment or a link-back. Both are always appreciated. And stay tuned for an upcoming article on: ‘the basics of HTML coding’.